Friday, August 19, 2011

Today we saw the new neurologist and what a difference a doctor makes. He spend time with us and addressed all our questions. He did a thorough eval and answered all our questions. He actually smiled and really cared. He is also a psychologist so I kind of got both in one visit. While I expected to hear that I had parkinson's, I am glad to know that he does not think that is what it is. He is going to do a cat scan and did some lab work. But, he agrees with the other doctors that I have conversion disorder. It is strange how that made me feel. He explained the treatment is continued counseling and that it could get worse before it gets better and that some people never recover from it. I think one of the reasons I was hoping for Parkinsons is at least they have medications I can take that help but with conversion disorder there is no medication only counseling and determining the root cause of all of this. So, the drama continues but that makes three neurologist and a psychologist that all agree it is conversion so I have to accept that and really concentrate on the counseling and moving forward. I am better in a lot of ways. My speech is better all though not perfect and I am stronger in a lot of ways. When I am home I get around ok but one thing that sticks out in my mind is he said he has never seen tremors like I have so at least he saw one. I did almost fall but he was there with the student doctor and they caught me before I hit the floor. There comes a time when researching a prognosis is done and focusing more on recovery is the priority. So, here we stand with a rare condition that takes time to heal and facing an uncertain future but we still have each other and a mighty God who loves us and will keep us safe through this storm. I've lived through a lot and have a lot of ghosts in the closet so maybe God is telling me it is time to face all the hurts and issues I have had in the past and to allow him to heal them. I continue to covet your prayers.
On another note, our high school football team has looked pretty good in the preseason and I am hoping they will carry that over into the regular season and we will have a good season. I'm not sure how many games I will make if any but my heart will be with our team and pulling for them every Friday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment