Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Today was therapy day and man did I work out. Physical and occupational therapy are going well and I am really getting that one on one attention I need that home health care was not able to help me with. I am finding the physical therapy challenging because I am still so weak and it does wear me out. Occupational therapy is not as bad. My cordination is not bad. It isn't what I want it to be but it is getting better. They are so encouraging and really challenge me. It is speech where I worry. I got my base line scores and they were not good but it as a lot better today. My therapist is just wonderful and I feel so comfortable with her. But, I worry that we will get me where I need to be by August 28th and she was quite honest with me in telling me that this may be a struggle I will have for the rest of my life. She also explained that is why I get so tired talking and she does hear vocal tremors. But, I am not willing to give up and she knows that. We will work extra hard and I am to rest my voice but also practice so in someways it will be like being back in college. She told me the name of what I have vocally but I don't remember exactly what it is called but it is neurological in nature and it can get worse so continued therapy is a must. I have been impressed with everyone I have worked with at HealthSouth in all phases of therapy and would recommend them to anyone who needs therapy.
After therapy I had to pick up my prescriptions and then it was home. I checked on my current disability status and they still have not received my records from the home therapy but I found out that they charged for the records and my disability was hesitant to pay the charge and when I found out how much it was I can't say I blame them. But, I was assured that the records have now been released. I also found out that they sent the request for HealthSouth to the wrong place when I have provided them the correct address and phone number numerous times which is frustrating but HealthSouth is pretty good so hopefully the records will get out pretty fast. My family physician said they sent theirs out today so hopefully that will be the end of it and we can get a decision.
The main thing that concerns me is can we get me to 20 hrs a week by Aug 28th and will my employer work me like they have others even if it means I am not on the phone. That is all up to them. If they are not willing to do that then Emily and I face the very real possibility that I will be on disability and not employed. But, we have a little more than a month and hopefully we can work something out because I have already told every doctor that I want to return to work. But, I think it is time to begin the process of SSI just to have some income. I just hate this and want my life back. I just never expected all of this when I went out for a simple lap band procedure. But, I told my speech therapist as I left today that she is dealing with a rocky who will not give up. Not yet. I still have fight in me and God's willing I will regain my life. But, most of all I have my wife and children and they make this worth fighting for and living for.

No comments:

Post a Comment