Friday, June 3, 2011

Today's blog is one of accomplishment but also one of realization that I have progressed as far as I can. Occupational therapy has now discharged me and I do understand why. I can bath myself and eat without assistance. As for physical therapy I was told that because I fall they cannot work towards a cane but only teach me how to use the walker so that is just the reality of my life. I will work with the walker and hope that some day I will graduate to a cane and evantually to walking on my own. I feel a sense of accomplishment in all that I have done but also a sense of "this is it." I may never walk without a walker again and I have to accept that as a possibility. The pain in my back is very intense so I am going to take my pain medicine and try to get some rest. I have not been sleeping very well at night because of the low back pain and now I have started having some tingling in my right leg as well. From what I understand the nurse will continue to come out and monitor me and I hope that is the case. We will see about outpatient therapy and if we can work that out. If not, then I will adjust. One thing I am going to have to get used to is going out in public and walking with the walker. That will take time but it is just the reality of my life. Maybe I'll go to Charleston or maybe I'll just accept this for what it is. I don't know the answer to that yet but for now I am done with home therapy other than the nurse and I hope she continues to come for a while to at least monitor my BP.

No comments:

Post a Comment