Sunday, October 9, 2011

Today I got to hold a baby. I had held her before but only for a few seconds because I was worried about a tremor. But, today her parents who are good friends of ours let me hold her and even though it was painful in my arm and backside because it meant I sat in the sanctuary the whole service, it was so worth it. It reminded me of when my children were baby's and how much I want another baby. But, more than that, it reminded me of how God gives us life. You see, in our Church a family that I see but really don't know very well lost their son yesterday. Yet, they were in Church today. Not bitter, not questioning, not having a pity party just there. I looked at the mother who had lost her son and I looked at the mother of the baby I was holding and I looked at the mother of my children and I thought how amazing it is that God gives women the gift of giving birth. I don't profess to know the pain of giving birth or the heartache of a mother over losing a child, but I do know what it is like to love a child so much that you would die for her. I may have been through a lot this past year and I may still have a lot more to go through and at times life has not seemed fair and I'll even admit that I have felt like giving up. But, holding that baby today was the best medicine I have had. No doctor can give you that feeling of life renewed and just how beautiful it is. I suggest everyone take the time if the mother and father are willing and just hold a baby even if it is for a few minutes. Hold that baby and smell the smell of new life. Listen to them breath and marvel at the fact that a loving God has placed that life on this earth. Then, take the time to realize just how fragile it is and appreciate the moment you have.
Now, I'd like to share two stories about my own children and how they blessed me this weekend. Yesterday, I was in a lot of pain. Pain is a part of my life and my oldest knows it because I complain way too much. I fell asleep during the Carolina/Kentucky game and she took the time to write me a note which I have beside me to keep me going. It isn't complicated but it is from the heart of a 6 year old. It simply says: " I love Daddy, Daddy loves me, I know how daddy feels and I really love him. Then, the drew a picture of me and her together holding hands and smiling. She said I can have it framed and I intend to do just that to remember how much we love each other. Only a child can give that feeling.
My 2 year old soon to be 3 this morning brought her Rapunzel doll into our bedroom after I had gotten up for Church. She gently laid the doll where I sleep and said it was there to protect me. She did not ask for it back and it is still in our bed. After Church on the way home, we asked her how she enjoyed children's church and she said she loved it!! She said: "We got to eat marchmellows! Those litttle ones." Perspective is very important!! And the Rapunzel doll is still in our bed to protect daddy.
Now, I don't profess to know why we have been through all we have been through this year and why things still seem to be happening. I'm still disabled and still struggle with a lot of things. Lord knows, I am not a perfect husband or daddy. But, I still have my children and we still have our home and each other and a God that has a plan we may not understand but one we have to follow and accept his guidance. In the past year, he has seen us through all my health issues, he has brought Jason into our lives, he has made sure we have food to eat and today he has provided reminders of just how precious life is.
I pray God's peace on the family that is suffering right now. I pray God's blessings on the new life I got to hold today. I pray God's blessings on the mother who sat next to us today and sits next to us every Sunday and the life she is carrying and I pray blessings on my sister in law who is carrying my nephew. May the God of the ages look over all these lives and grant them all of life's joys and peace. I pray God's blessings on the mother of my children and grant her peace as she has so much responsibility with our home, finances and our children and the love only she can know for them. I pray for all the Father's out there. I pray that God will gran you courage to be the man he meant for you to be and if you are not stepping up to the plate then I pray God will convict your heart and that you will know the simple joy of holding a child. Men sometimes shy away from that but I can tell you that there is nothing like it. And, finally, I pray God will richly bless each and everyone who reads this blog. Have a great night and remember life is precious and even though we may not always understand his plan, God does have one if we will simply see it through.
t

No comments:

Post a Comment