Monday, February 13, 2012

Well, it has certainly has been an interesting couple of days. Emily left Friday to go to Myrtle Beach for the BETA Club convention. She has to go and I was left with the girls. I knew I would need some help so once again Jason came through. He washed dishes, fed the dogs and brought up wood for the wood box. He truly is a part of the family.

Sunday morning I woke to a very intense chest pain and I was sweating. My first thought was angina so I got up took my medicine and got the girls ready for Church. Jason watched them for me while I took my shower. The pain in the chest changed to more of the elephant on the chest and I felt like there was someone sticking me in the left arm. Like when you get a shot. That really began to scare me. I knew I needed to get the girls to the Church where they would be looked after and I could get help. I didn't want to panic anyone but the pressure was very intense. So, we got to the Church and I told Jason he needed to go get two adults. One to get the girls and one to come check on me. There is a lady at our Church that used to work in a doctors office and can take blood pressure and pulse. She said my pulse was 150 but she didn't have a blood pressure cup so she was not able to check that. The Pastor prayed with me then got in the truck with me. By this time, I was crying and really concerned about my girls but luckily Maw Maw drove up and went in to take care of them.

So, they called 911 and soon the ambulance was there. By this time the tremors had set in and I was coughing a very deep rough cough. As they loaded me into the ambulance they took my Blood Pressure. I don't remember what the top number was but the bottom number was 104 so it was high. I also don't remember what my heart rate was at that time. They gave me nitro tablets and took me on to the hospital. By this time my blood pressure had come down and they said the nitro would do that and they drew blood and did a chest x-ray. They said everything looked normal but felt I needed to stay overnight. So, I spent the night in the observation room and everything seemed pretty normal but they wanted to do a nuclear stress test. The only problem with that is I can't walk on a treadmill due to the risk of a fall. So, they have a new way of doing these types of tests where they inject a chemical that widens the vessells and makes the heart work like it is under stress. It was very uncomfortable and I will admit that I hope I never have to go through that again. I was exhausted and really felt a lot of pain.

So, they moved me back to my room on the bed instead of trying to put me in a wheel chair. When we got to the room, I got off the bed to move to my room bed and slipped and fell on the floor. It really hurt my back and even now I am in a lot of pain in the back but the chest pain has gone away. I just hope it stays away.

The doctor said he wanted to confer with my cardiologist before discharging me so they called and the doctor on call came by to see me. He said that given that I had had a heart cath 6 years ago when I had the heart attack and it showed some plaque build up and some calcium build up that he felt I could go home since the nuclear test was ok. I was fully prepared to have another cath if it was necessary but I am happy to report that I am home and just very tired and drained.

They are not sure what happened but said to keep an eye on myself and the chest pains. Being home is probably the best medicine I could have. I am thankful for all those that worked so hard on me and the hospital for giving me the best of care. I feel comfortable that I did not have a heart attack but I do wonder if angina was involved but it really does not matter. What matters is that it has settled down and while I still had tremors through the day Sunday and this morning I feel calm now and am resting in my chair.

My heart just broke for my oldest daughter because she is old enough to understand there is something going on. But, I do know that God has a reason for all of this and I just have to get through it and my girls will be able to use this experience to help others and can speak from experience not just a text book.

So, once again, another rough time but God is faithful and I know he will see us through. It is my prayer that he blesses all who read this and give them peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment