Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Well, today once again brought more challenges and discouragement. I had my coroded artery study and leg vein study. the good news is the tests were normal. But, today I found out they are not going to do the filter to prevent blood clots. One of the major reasons I decided to do this procedure was because of the filter. Now, I have to change my disability, work with my manager who is great by the way for my days off. Honestly, I am beginning to think this is a mistake. I had lost another 12lbs according to the scales which is so encouraging. Bottom line, I can do this without the surgery. But, I guess on the bright side is the surgery will prevent me from going back to the way I was. The major key is following the program. The procedure will require me being admitted in the hospital Sept 2. The procedure itself actually takes about 30-45 minutes. After the procedure I will be in recovery for about 3 hours. I will get up and walk soon after waking up. I will have to wear some tight thing for my legs. this is to prevent cloting. If all goes well, I will go home the next day. Once home, I will have to be very careful about what I eat. It is mostly fluids for two days then I gradually begin to introduce some food mainly grits and mashed potatoes. Sugar free jello and pudding is also ok. After 6 weeks they will do the first adjustment. It will be exciting to see how much I will have lost. But, I think I will always wonder why I did this when I am doing so well on my own. I will continue to post my thoughts and things around the procedure. My purpose in doing this blog is to help educate those that may be considering bariatric surgery. I hope it helps.

3 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work man Cockytalk is behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you not insist that they put in the filer? I thought that was something that they were doing now as a precaution to blood clots. I would really express my concern about not having the filer.

    Also, you made a comment that concerns me... you said "But, I guess on the bright side is the surgery will prevent me from going back to the way I was." You CAN go back if you don't change the way you think about food and your eating habits. A lot of people have this procedure, lose a lot of weight but gain it back because they don't change the way they think about eating. Just because you have this surgery, doesn't mean you can eat like you used to. I'm not trying to be a wet blanket just concerened that you are going into this with your eyes open.

    Have you had a psychological consult? I’m not sure if they still do that before these procedures but when they first started doing them you had to have one. They made sure you were in the right “frame of mind” to have the surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mo, yes, I have had the psych eval and passed....scary I know. I understand what you are saying about changing my lifestyle. I have already started that and have been successful. I am excited but nervous. This has been one of the biggest decisions in my life. But, I know my wife supports me and wants me to have it done. so, I am ready. On the other hand, I need to be challenged. thank you for loving me enough to point that out.

    ReplyDelete